Thursday 30 April 2015

Basquiat- "What are they really doing with all that data"



The term I chose to work on was layers. I chose to take this term very literally as I used layers in PhotoShop to create this piece. I thought the best way to show layers would be by actually layering pictures and imagine on top of each other to create on singular piece. The issue I chose to express through this piece was mass data collection. The idea of this piece was more to poke fun at the idea of mass data collection and what they do with it. My idea came from watching an old cartoon. In the cartoon Scrooge McDuck dives in to a pool filled with his money so that got me think what if that what all these agencies but instead of money it was users data. To show data I used old floppy disks as they are probably one of the most well know holders of data. I borrowed one of my friends and got him to pose as if he was driving in to a pool. Once i had taken the shot I cut him out and layered the floppy disks under him to make it appear as if he was diving in to them. For a final visual I found an image of green zero's and one's which is what data looks like to a computer. I then placed that over the top of the imagine and used a layer tool to give it a fade effect. Once that was done my final step was to find the MS DOS font and use it to write "you really think it just started now" on the screen. This related back to the floppy disks as people seem to think that mass data collection has only started in recent years when it has actually been present since the beginning of computers. Over all I was mildly satisfied with this work. For most of the project I had a very hard time coming up with and idea of what to do. After a long time spent not really doing anything I figured out what I wanted to do and I think it turned out quite well. If I was able to figure out what I wanted to do much sooner I think it would have went much better and a lot quicker. 

No comments:

Post a Comment